Monday, July 14, 2008

My mistreatment

Nester advocates mistreatments. So of course, I had to throw my hat into the ring and see what I could come up with. But, I couldn't do it with just any set of rules. I set off to become the McGyver of curtains. First experiment: the windows in the kid's playroom.

First off, the previous owners should never be allowed to own a home again for the treatment they did on the walls - cedar planks. Really, who would think anything that could give you a splinter works in the house, much less looks good? Not to mention the fact that I live in the middle of suburbia ... not a cabin in the north woods. For now, it stays but it is on the list of home improvement projects from hell. Hopefully by next summer the walls will be replaced with beautiful drywall. Until then, I have to spruce up the castle somehow. Hence ... the new mistreatments. What did I use to concoct these babies for four windows?
  • 5 yds fabric (@ $5/yd)
  • 4 yds pom pom fringe (@ $2/yd)
  • Hot glue
  • Stick pins
  • Staples
A whopping total of $38 (including tax) in these curtains. And not one stitch. I just hot glued and then stapled the material onto the valance of the existing blinds. Since the material was 54" wide, I simply folded it over. But then I had to figure out a way not let on they weren't lined when the sun shone through ... simple soultion, lower the blinds behind them and no one will ever know!

I'm proud of my handy work. They aren't perfect. Heck, they aren't even straight. But they are beautiful to me and my family. Thanks for the inspiration, Nester.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin