Thursday, May 21, 2009

Three Amigos (Part 3)

So it's been a while since I said I'd finish up the girls' trip to Central Texas. Yeah ... about a month now. I think I'm behind. Before I begin, I have to give a disclaimer that there are not as many pics in this post as I normally would include. I think I was in shopping shock this day and forgot to pull out the camera often enough. Also, forgive any grammar or misspellings. I will readily admit I am too lazy to peer review myself today. Now, on with the story.


Day 2 begins. We slept in. I will admit that I was eagerly awaiting the "surprise" box that gets dropped at your doorstep every morning. This box is supposedly full of deliciousness. Luckily ... the box came (see, perfect oppty for a picture that I didn't take). It was an old-fashioned cowgirl lunch box that was full of hot, yummy almond topped muffins. I did partake, but Lynn and Tracy only took a few dainty bites. I couldn't help myself because they were so delish. However, since Tracy and Lynn saved room for "real" food, we headed over to Wimberly and ate more deliciousness at this little cafe:


Lynn raved over the migas (best since her honeymoon). I can't remember what Tracy had but she said it was delish. As for me, I had eaten almost a whole muffin (about the size of Incredible Hulk's fist) back at the B&B, so I kept it light and had a few scrambled eggs. Just for a little protein is what I kept telling myself.

After we had sufficiently fueled ourselves for a long day of shopping, we walked around the delightful town. It was full of little stores that lured us in. Here's a pic of an old house that was turned into a shop. How charming is that? Unfortch, this particular store was full of a lot of junk. Looks can be deceiving.


I ended up buying a few things as we sauntered around town ... but my best buy of the day is this little number:


Yes, a VERA BRADLEY purse. For only $50. Did you even know she made anything other than prints? I sure didn't. But I can tell you that after a few weeks of using this thing I am in love with it.

After working ourselves to exhaustion, we stopped and had lunch at a little place in town. The Learning Pear ... or was it the Leaning Pear? It was funny because that morning in the B&B I was reading through the stack of menus that showed what all the places around served and I was drooling. I mentioned it to Lynn and Tracy and they both said in unison, "that's the place we were going to go for lunch." So Lynn, great pick.

Lunch was wonderful and the perfect pick-me-up. Then, we headed off into the great blue yonder - headed for Luckenbach. Um ... I only knew the song by Willie and thought it'd be a great place. Who knew it was a hole in the wall. Really. We almost missed it. But, it was fantastic. Live music, bikers, preps (like me), crazy people (also a little like me) ... I could have stayed there resting under the tree and listening to music for the rest of the day. But we have places to go and things to see. Of course, we bought the requisite t-shirt.




Back to the car ... headed towards Fredericksburg. Luckily, it wasn't far because by this time it was about 2 or 3p. We walked around the streets of Fredericksburg looking for a bargain and it didn't disappoint. Tracy found some material to recover a chair, I found a little denim jacket and I can't remember what Lynn found (besides liquor and cookies, of which we all shared). We also found a place that served this:


And you could walk around town with it. So, we partook. But, with a bellini instead. I don't like beer.

It only took a few hours and we were getting tired and knew we needed to head back towards Dripping Springs. We stopped at Wildseed Farms on the way back (just in time too ... we got there about 15 mins before closing). It is a HUGE seed farm, garden store, etc. Lynn finally found the hummingbird feeders she had been looking for and was very excited. Tracy and I did like we usually do ... and bought food.

Later that night, we ended up at a little steakhouse (name escapes me). We got there early and thought we'd check out the "bowling alley" next to the restaurant. But, alas, no bowling alley ... just a little cafe. Again. looks can be deceiving! So, we headed over to eat. I was surprised at how wonderful the place was inside. What is it about twinkle lights that makes everything better?! Believe it or not, they were doing Cherries Jubilee and Bananas Foster. In Hicksville. Too bad we filled up on steak and baked potatos or we would have tried some of the deliciousness.



Then it was back to the B&B to relax and get some rest. Because the next day it was time to head home. I have no interesting news to report about that ... except to say: don't eat at the Elite Cafe in Waco, TX. Yeah ... it used to be good. But not so much anymore.

So, another girls' trip down. Who's planning the next one?

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin