Monday, June 30, 2008

Time to get our hands dirty

We went to the beach last weekend. Well, Galveston. Not really a beach but about as close as it gets to Dallas without having to travel what feels about halfway across the world. It was supposed to be three days of fun in the sun, burying your body in the sand, slathering yourself with so much sunscreen that you carried half the sand from the beach around. You know what I'm talking about. I went with my sister and met up with my brother, his fiance and three out of their four his/her kids. Poor Shawn was stuck at home holding down the fort since he had to work.

I won't call it vacation because in the first 24 hours we had a visit to the emergency room (cellulitis, anyone?) and some members of our party, who shall remain nameless (that's for you Rusty), had a knock down drag out. I have learned some lessons about traveling with family:

1. My sister and I WILL go on vacation together again. We got along great. Who would have thought ... trapped in the car together for about 6 hours each way. No scratches on either of us upon arrival at both destinations.

2. I will NEVER ever think it's a great idea to invite the whole family and try to plan again. I appreciate spending time with my brother and sister but I think I'll let them do the planning next time and then just make my own little side agenda, if I go at all.

3. Inspect all kids for spots, rashes, red areas, runny noses, etc. before going on vacation to avoid another visit to the ER at 1a.

4. Don't feed the kids before getting in the car. This will counteract any car sickness that may develop. If you must feed the children before going, be sure to keep close a couple of beach towels to absorb said car sickness.

If you ever hear me making noises about traveling with family again, you officially have my permission to slap me silly. Really, you do. Not kidding. Because you know time has a way of making you forget about how bad it really was. I can guarantee you that you must remind me at some point.

Other than, we had a great time getting dirty in the sand. Mallory, who was the inspiration for this trip (okay, I was tired of hearing her beg to go to the beach), had the best time. Truett wasn't so sure. I can't wait to go back with Shawn and enjoy Galveston as a family.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin